Welcome to "Adventures in Lead", a blog dedicated to the hobby of miniature wargaming. The figures and terrain on this site are mainly for a campaign set in exotic "Indostan", a distant land bearing remarkable similarities to 18th century India during the Seven Years War. Bits and pieces from other projects may pop up here as well from time to time, including colonials, gladiators, pirates, dinosaur-hunting and even some RPG'ing.
The actual campaign journal and after action reports for the Indostan campaign can be found on their own blog - "Indostan: The Jewel in the Crown", the link to which is found by clicking the small image below-left.
If you do find anything remotely interesting on this blog please leave a comment, it's what keeps these sites going and their authors motivated - Thanks for looking.

Sunday, June 25, 2023

Gangs of Rome - Book Dealer

This is the tenth building I have completed for my Gangs of Rome layout, a book dealer, and the kit is again another of Sarrisa's Lower Rank Insula Corner.

Roman "books" were not our modern idea of a book of course, but scrolls or "book rolls". I stupidly decided to make my scrolls by hand, when I could have just 3D printed them. That's about two hours of my life I won't get back! They probably do look a bit more authentic although because I used the pirate-map coffee staining method on them.

Apparently exteriors of bookshops were plastered with advertisements and choice quotes from the titles in stock. Martial once told a friend not to bother going in, since you could “read all the poets” on the door posts. 

I've been wanting to add some greenery to my builds for some time and this time I included a trestle and climbing plant. On the blank wall of the building I made a small street shrine, likely to Jupiter.

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Magnificent! Especially the small temple on the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray - I've been waiting do a small shrine since I started these.

      Delete
  2. One of those models Ireally should have built too (a bookshop) for more modern games. It's another great models, with lots of interesting details. Your 'suburb' is becoming very large !
    Didn;t Rome have what we would recognise as books too, in addition to scrolls ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I do believe they had something known as a "codex" which were wax tablets sandwiched between wood but not a book in our modern terms.

      Delete